Do you dream of this extraordinary kitchen on the front page of a magazine or a large bathroom with a huge custom shower? Beyond the dream, you have to wonder how much it really costs. Renovate a full bath for less than $ 10,000 is it possible? Yes and no.
In recent years, there has been a craze for television programs on decoration, home stagingand renovation. Warning! In these programs, allocated budgets are often unrealistic. Several suppliers offer their products in exchange for advertising, the price of the designers is often supported by the production and sometimes the cost of labor is not mentioned.
Things we forget to calculate
1. When a major project is launched, it is strongly advised to do business with an architect, a designer or a decorator to plan the work. According to the professional’s experience, the hourly rates will vary between $ 75 and $ 150 an hour. Otherwise, plan between 5% and 10% of the total value of your project in professional fees. So for a kitchen worth $ 25,000, you could expect $ 1,250 to $ 2,500 in design fees.
2. On the labor side, customers often forget to calculate the demolition. Unless you do it yourself, plan for a standard room, one to two days with two carpenters, paid between $ 45 to $ 60 / hour. Not to mention the price of the waste container.
3. When renovating a kitchen or bathroom, plan a large portion of the budget for plumbing fixtures or new appliances. For a full bathroom, calculate between $ 3650 and $ 5000 at the plumbing shop, same thing for appliances.
4. We also tend to forget about sales taxes. The amount can greatly affect your initial budget, believe me! On $ 20,000, taxes will be $ 2995. An amount not to be neglected.
5. When shopping for our kitchen cabinets or our custom bathroom vanity, it is strongly discouraged to rely solely on the linear price offered by the retailer. Although the price seems very attractive, it rarely includes delivery, installation and all the accessories that usually includes a kitchen. I advise you to make a quote with a detailed and precise plan. The price of kitchen cabinets is often 50% of the total amount of a renovation. (eg cabinets $ 12,500 – work and materials approximately $ 12,500 also, for a total of approximately $ 25,000)
And luxury, how much does it cost?
If you are talking about quartz or granite countertops, you can calculate between $ 80 and $ 150 per square foot, compared to the laminate which is around $ 25 per square foot.
Large format ceramic tiles can range from $ 5 to $ 12 per square foot. Also plan to buy between 10% and 20% more tiles to cover losses.
A quality linear drain for a shower runs around $ 500 on the purchase compared to a central drain or you’ll pay that $ 50 to $ 100
Custom showers can easily cost double to build a standard shower with an acrylic base bought in supermarkets.
The large stainless steel square kitchen sinks installed under plan tend to retail between $ 500 and $ 1000.
So this is it! In 2016, the cost of materials has changed dramatically and several specialty products are now available. In my experience, I can say that a full kitchen usually costs between $ 20,000 and $ 50,000. (including designer, labor, appliances, materials and taxes)
A bathroom will quickly reach $ 15,000 and the budget limit is endless. If you plan to install a custom shower, a heated floor, a freestanding bath and a vanity made by a cabinetmaker, you could easily reach $ 30,000.
It must be said, these prices are based on complete renovation projects including the certified workforce. The size of the room and the complexity of the project can easily vary costs. There is a way to save a lot of money by doing some simple tasks yourself such as painting, demolishing or simply restyling your room by changing certain items.
Do not forget that hiring Mr. Bricole without valid licenses could directly lead you to an endless fiasco and end up costing you a lot more than a properly completed project.
One thing: evaluate if you qualify for some tax credits offered by the government, you could also take advantage of the very low credit rates offered by the banking institutions.