We can all agree that water damage is the most frustrating thing that could happen to any household. Even though we need water to live healthy lives, the water outside of our system could mean devastation of the quality of life you’re living.
It is impossible to open a large umbrella over your house and before anything starts, you should find appropriate service that will find leak detection in Houston.
Protecting your house from water is a challenging business because plumbing problems could cause moisture, cracks in the foundation, walls of your house, roof and many more.
You don’t have to worry, because a few tiny cracks won’t cause structural damage, but the water can penetrate various materials and to create humidity and mold problems. That could also lead to serious health issues.
Therefore, the best way to prevent the water damage to your house is to take proper care of house leaks and plumbing issues. We decided to present you guide on how to prevent water from entering your property:
Everything Starts From Roof
It doesn’t matter if you think that your roof is in excellent condition because a tiny crack could create enormous problems. Therefore, you should maintain, repair and inspect it frequently, twice a year, because that way you will make sure that it can withstand the weather elements.
The main of having a roof is to get the protection against weather condition, which is why you have to ensure that a single drop cannot enter while you’re inside. That is why you should do following:
- Inspect The Roof – We have mentioned above that frequent roof inspections could help you determine the problem in the beginning. You should do it in the first months of autumn because you want the perfect roof for the snowy and winter weathers. You should replace broken tiles and properly fix everything to avoid severe water damage and roof leaks.
- Inspect The Chimney – The chimney is another source that could cause leakage, especially if you use it for heating purposes. In case that you notice cracked flashing, the water will have the ability to leak around it and to enter your home. Therefore, you should repair flashing and put the cap over the chimney.
- Clean The Gutters – Debris and leaves in the gutter can easily create a blockage of drains and prevent the water from draining from the roof. If you want to avoid this particular problem, you should clean troughs, eaves,and drainpipes at least twice on an annual basis. You can also remove branches and dead leaves and scoop the gutters. You can do it with a garden hose to check whether the water has the proper flow. In case that water pools in the gutter, then you should find a professional that could help you clean it by use of expert tools because further neglecting will lead to serious water problems.
These tips will help you eliminate the possibility that roof is the cause of leakage. In case that you still experience water problems, you should consider alternative ways water can enter your home such as:
We have mentioned above that a tiny crack in the foundation could let the water inside. That could lead to severe water damage to your property and even basement flood. Therefore, you should follow these tips to waterproof the foundations:
- Inspect and Repair – The first thing you should do is to inspect the wall foundations and to address them before the water does further damage. You don’t want to wait for the heavy rain or snow to find out that your foundation includes You can easily seal these cracks by using repair masonry and caulk. For larger gaps, we recommend you to use hydraulic cement, because it has the abilities to keep water away.
- Drive Water Away – You should make sure that slopes are far away from foundations. It is enough to add a few inches of topsoil or crushed stone around it to protect the foundation. By doing this, you will protect your house from water.
For more information on what you should do in case of flooding, you may check here.